Dear Pre-College Engineering Education (PCEE) Division Members,
This newsletter contains five announcements that follow my signature:
- a call to participate in PCEE Division Committees during the 2016-2017 year
- three job postings, including a new job posting for National Alliance for Partnerships in Equity (NAPE)
- information about a National Academy of Engineering (NAE) project – in collaboration with the Academies Teacher Advisory Council – intended to raise the visibility of working K12 teachers in efforts to inform policy making related to the implementation of K12 engineering
Note: I’m shifting newsletter publications from Wednesdays to Thursdays, and will still send them every two weeks. Please plan accordingly if you’d like to send something for me to post. Be sure that what you send me is about one short paragraph long with links; I don’t send pdfs out in newsletters.
Pamela S. Lottero-Perdue, Ph.D.
Chair, Pre-College Engineering Education Division
American Society for Engineering Education
Associate Professor of Science Education
Director, Integrated STEM Instructional Leadership (PreK-6) Post-Baccalaureate Program
Department of Physics, Astronomy & Geosciences
~ ANNOUNCEMENTS ~
VOLUNTEER FOR PCEE DIVISION COMMITTEES
2016-2017 PCEE Division committees that will be running this year: Please consider contributing to one. They will start their work in late August or September. Work typically involves one electronic meeting per month, as well as some input in between meetings. If you’re interested in joining one or more of these, please contact me so I can add you to our email lists:
- Diversity Committee – Work to support diversity efforts in the division, including contributing to the creation of monthly Diversity/Inclusion tips and to the annual review process to select a Best Diversity Paper.
- Saturday Workshop Committee – Contribute to ongoing improvement efforts for the Saturday Workshop for teachers that occurs before the main conference.
- Sunday Workshop Committee – Contribute to ongoing improvement efforts and proposal selection for the PCEE Division Sunday Workshop sessions.
- Conference Partnership Committee – Work to develop booth activities and materials to support ASEE PCEE Division members when they represent ASEE at ITEEA, NSTA, and other conferences, and help to organize ASEE days at these conferences.
- Branding, Blog & Webinar Committee – Continue to work to brand the PCEE Division, and consider how we might engage in online information sharing via blogs and/or webinars.
- PCEE Teacher Member Committee – Work to characterize the value that membership in the Division might add to P12 teachers with particular interests, and create an information source (handout, website) to communicate this value added.
NAPE Program Manager: The National Alliance for Partnerships in Equity seeks a dynamic and creative individual to support our mission to improve access, equity, and diversity in education and the workforce. NAPE Program Managers work with schools and institutions across the country to ensure effective implementation of NAPE programs and services. In addition, this role will contribute to national marketing and communication strategies aimed to expand our impact. As a virtual organization, this individual is invited to telecommute and change the world! Job posting attached or view posting on LinkedIn.
Postdoctoral Research Associate, University of Maine: The College of Engineering at the University of Maine is seeking applicants for a one-year postdoctoral Research Associate Position to analyze the current state of engineering and technology education at Maine’s K-12 schools. This position will collaborate with representatives from academia, industry and schools, and develop a definition of engineering intervention, and then survey the degree to which any form of these interventions is currently implemented in Maine. Salary: $47,500, immediate opening. For further information visit https://umaine.hiretouch.com/job-details?jobid=34658
Assistant Director for StudioLab Initiatives, Princeton University. We are looking for a dynamic STEM educator/practitioner to join our team! The Council on Science and Technology (CST) strives to be a catalyst for innovation. Through intellectual exchange, excellent courses, supported research, and multidisciplinary collaboration, CST brings together diverse perspectives that explore the intersections and shared creativity across STEM, the arts, humanities and social sciences. We aim to provide a comprehensive set of learning experiences for undergraduate and graduate students, as well as support research and intellectual exchange. Our open position, Assistant Director for StudioLab Initiatives, will advance CST activities by developing, implementing, and supporting relevant programming that align with the mission of the Council. The Assistant Director will also engage in areas of teaching, as well as with ongoing creative and technical work. In addition to the possibility of teaching his/her own course, the Assistant Director will work with faculty to develop and evaluate courses that align with the CST mission. More information is available at: http://cst.princeton.edu/jobs
New NAE project being conducted in collaboration with the Academies Teacher Advisory Council: This project is intended to raise the visibility of working K12 teachers in efforts to inform policy making related to the implementation of K12 engineering (more info here: https://www.nae.edu/Projects/149965.aspx). As I’m sure you know, teachers are used to having reform done “to them”; rarely are they encouraged or given opportunities to apply the wisdom of practice beyond the classroom to help schools, school districts, states, or the nation make better decisions about educational change. The project involves a major convening activity at the end of September, here in DC.