Dear PCEE Division Members,
All I’ve got for you in this newsletter is one reminder and a couple of announcements.
Reminder: On October 12, you should have received an updated Call for Proposals for Professional Development for Teachers in your email inboxes from Lisa Jennings, Manager of K-12 Activities for ASEE Headquarters. I have pasted a description of the call, below. Proposals are due by 5:00 pm EST Friday, November 11, 2016. Please go back to that email for attachments including a description of the call, a proposal template, and budget template. The email was entitled, REVISED – ASEE Call for Proposals: Professional Development for P-12 Teachers. Contact Lisa Jennings at firstname.lastname@example.org with questions.
Two new announcements follow my name. Feel free to send me items to post in upcoming newsletters. Please limit those to a paragraph of text, and provide links for readers to find more information.
Pamela S. Lottero-Perdue, Ph.D.
Chair, Pre-College Engineering Education Division
American Society for Engineering Education
Associate Professor of Science Education
Director, Integrated STEM Instructional Leadership (PreK-6) Post-Baccalaureate Program
Department of Physics, Astronomy & Geosciences
~ ANNOUNCEMENTS ~
CALL FOR PARTICIPATION (new!):
2017 INSTITUTE ON PROJECT-BASED LEARNING
The 2017 Institute on Project-Based Learning (PBL), www.wpi.edu/+2017institute , will be held June 21-24, 2017, at Worcester Polytechnic Institute (WPI) in Worcester, Massachusetts. Run by WPI in partnership with the Association of American Colleges & Universities, the Institute draws on WPI’s 40 years of experience integrating project-based initiatives into undergraduate education. This intensive workshop brings teams of faculty and administrators together to gain knowledge and make tangible progress to integrate PBL into their curricula. Participants will arrive with a specific goal and leave with an enhanced understanding of PBL and a tailored plan to advance their work.
- Who Should Attend: Faculty and administrators from a wide variety of institutions – public, private, STEM, liberal arts, community colleges, research universities – interested in advancing project-based learning in their curricula.
- Application Guidelines: Institute applicants propose a goal or project they want to address. To learn more about the application process, visit http://wp.wpi.edu/projectbasedlearning/2017-institute/apply/
- SPECIAL OPPORTUNITY: $5000 SUBSIDIES FOR ENGINEERING EDUCATORS. Thanks to the 2016 NAE Gordon Prize, teams focusing on engineering education will be able to compete for $5000 subsidies toward the Institute fee (normally $7500). In addition, $5000 “implementation awards” will go to some participating engineering teams based on the merits of the campus action plans they develop at the Institute.
- APPLICATION DEADLINE: February 13, 2017. If you have questions, please visit http://wp.wpi.edu/projectbasedlearning/contact/
Active Learning Day Blog Post from Whitehouse.gov
- The blogpost is now live:https://www.whitehouse.gov/blog/2016/10/25/active-learning-day-america. Thanks to your dedication to supporting students we’ve been able to share amazing announcements from educators across the country. Be sure to check out: Letters to the President from the K-12 and higher education communities linked in the blog post (https://www.whitehouse.gov/sites/default/files/microsites/ostp/100kin10_active_learning_letters.pdf,https://www.whitehouse.gov/sites/default/files/microsites/ostp/aacu_letter_to_the_president_102016.pdf,https://www.whitehouse.gov/sites/default/files/microsites/ostp/aau_aplu_letter_to_president_on_active_learning_day.pdf)
- Listing of the support for active learning from across the country:https://www.whitehouse.gov/sites/default/files/microsites/ostp/active_learning_announcements_appendix.pdf