~ PRE-COLLEGE ENGINEERING EDUCATION DIVISION ~
engineering education for all | early childhood through high school | in and out of school
MARCH 30, 2016
Dear Pre-College Engineering Education (PCEE) Division Members,
I have two items to share in this newsletter:
- Help needed from division members!Are you interested in helping the ASEE Standing Board Committee on P12 Engineering Educationpull off a “Focus on P12 & Pre-College Engineering Education” series of events in New Orleans? The main idea with these events is to let the ASEE community at-large know about our exciting work in pre-college engineering education, and to suggest that they, too, find ways to positively impact the P12 space. What might you do as a volunteer?
- Help us plan events;
- Help staff a special booth that we have to feature pre-college engineering near the registration desk;
- Help identify and hand out exciting “bling;” and
- Get the word out at the conference about this ASEE organization-wide effort.
If you are interested, please send your name and how you’d like to help to the Standing Board Committee on P12 Engineering Education at email@example.com.
- The ASEE K-12 Workshop. This annual workshop is shaping up to have some excellent sessions and good conversations. Join us in New Orleans on Saturday June 25th for an informative day of professional development for pre-college educators (formal and informal).Learn about how to integrate the “E” in STEM into learning and engage children in authentic engineering practices. Broaden you understanding of the engineering practices as articulated in the Next Generation Science Standards. Register now by clicking here. (For those who submitted proposals to present a session at the workshop, all notifications of status have been sent out. Please contact Martha Cyr (firstname.lastname@example.org) if you did not receive notice.)
Remember – please feel free to pass along newsletter items to me to share with the division. Keep them to a paragraph or so.
Pamela S. Lottero-Perdue, Ph.D.
Chair, Pre-College Engineering Education Division
American Society for Engineering Education
Associate Professor of Science Education
Director, Integrated STEM Instructional Leadership (PreK-6) Post-Baccalaureate Program
Department of Physics, Astronomy & Geosciences
~ ANNOUNCEMENTS ~
Understanding Engineers’ Workplace Experiences survey: If you are an engineer (or know someone who is),please participate in (or pass this along to those you know so that they may participate in) the Understanding Engineers’ Workplace Experiences survey:
The Society of Women Engineers (SWE) is conducting a survey of 50,000 professional engineers in the United States and Canada about their experiences in the workplace. SWE is working with Joan C. Williams, Distinguished Professor of Law at the University of California, Hastings and founding director of the Center for WorkLife Law (WLL), to conduct the survey called Understanding Engineers’ Workplace Experiences. The survey is open for participation now. (https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/gendereng) “This survey is designed to strengthen engineering as a profession by providing crucial research about the work lives of those in the field. The goal is to help organizations improve their ability to tap and develop talented engineers,” said Williams. The survey will be conducted for four weeks beginning on March 7 and is expected to take 15 minutes to complete. Participants must be 18 years of age or older, currently employed as an engineer or in the same capacity, with at least two years of work experience. All responses will be kept confidential.Please take the time to fill out this important survey (https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/gendereng). This survey is funded by SWE in partnership with WLL.